Individual dance classes & workshops
Bharata Natyam is originally a classical temple dance from South India. With a history of more than 3000 years, this form is one of the oldest in the world. The dance is characterized by complex footwork, abstract and narrative movements, graceful hand movements (mudras) and refined facial expressions (abhinaya). In this dance, strength is linked to flexibility, energy to elegance and expression to refinement.
The Parampara tradition (transmission from teacher to student) has always preserved the authenticity of Bharata Natyam, partly because the following elements are always used:
- Nritta: pure technical dance movements with the aim of creating beauty.
- Nritya: a combination of Nritta, Hastas (hand movements) and Abhinaya (expression of emotions through facial expression and body posture with the aim of expressing the state of mind).
- Natya: dance drama, dramatic element in Bharata Natyam in which the dancer portrays different characters from Hindu mythology.
The (individual) dance classes consist of a block of four lessons focusing on the following basic elements. Each block is also followed-up by an intensification of the previous.
- Hastas | mudras: hand gestures
- Rhythmic footwork
- Abhinaya: expression
- Tala: rhythm
- Adavus: technical dance movements
Fees: € 30,- per hour.
Duration: the beginners lessons last one hour due to the increase in energy level and stamina. The advanced lessons last 1.5 to 2 hours.
Start: in consent after an introduction lesson
Workshop Bharata Natyam
This introduction of ten lessons aims to introduce you to the Indian dance culture, regardless of culture, religion or origin.
From the first dance class, the emphasis is already on getting to know the basics:
- technical dance movements (adavus)
- hand gestures (mudras; hastas),
- eye | neck | head movements
- start with the practice of expression (abhinaya)
You will become familiar with the basic elements of Bharata Natyam. You will also learn a small item,
prayer dance dedicated to the god Ganesha or an introduction to the Hanuman Chalisa (see accompanying movie).
After this block you can choose for further deepening.
See the individual lesson program for this.
Duration / Fees
10 classes of one hour.
Total amount € 150,-
Register / more information
Would you like to register or know more about the (individual) lesson program? Get in touch with me by e-mail or telephone: +31 6 28249929.